Sunday, November 30, 2008

Football As War

A Duck or A Dog?

Here's a great shot of an avid football fan. So what's with the school sweater?
Somehow, the marriage of Thanksgiving and football is something I remember from my high school days in Flint, Michigan when Central played Northern on Thanksgiving Day. This turned out to be a classic "good news-bad news" situation. I would return home after the game frozen solid. The good news - I could thaw out with turkey, dressing, cranberry jelly and tons of other good stuff. Not a bad deal when you are a starving teen but now, in retrospect, it was a weird combination of two completely different events. Since Flint now has several high schools, I'm sure this tradition is long gone but back then, weird or not, it was a big deal.

The Tradition (off by two days) Continues

Following a custom that dates back to 1894, University of Oregon played Oregon State University in football last night. This annual event is referred to locally as the Civil War. I'm sure it makes sense to some people, but the fact that the two schools are 40 miles apart, causes me to question the choice of nickname. There is no North and South, no Rebel or Union soldiers; just Ducks and Beavers. Oh well!

The final score of this year's game was 65-38 in favor of University of Oregon. The loss knocked Oregon State out of a sure Rose Bowl date, and added to the enmity between the die-hard believers. My take on the whole thing? Go Wolverines! Wait until next year!

This post dedicated to all those who live in other states but graduated from Oregon State University!

3 comments:

The Fly said...

That would be me.

I don't know, students at OSU are more likely to be free thinking, free market capitalists, while students at UofO are more likely to support the slavery of communism.

Just a thought.

My take on it? Wonderful: OSU has just paid yet another year of scholarships so that another crop of "student" athletes could lose the only important game of the year. And to think that they'll someday try to ask me for money!

Father Time said...

Your comments have been read and duly assimilated. I humbly suggest that very few graduates of either school have any clue about the subtleties of government.

Student athletes bring more revenue to universities than government research grants. Besides, who else can make a Duck look mean and a Beaver ferocious?

The Fly said...

Yeah, that's why the OSU football team kept taking out loans from the university that never got paid back...

I blame Barack Obama, mainly because it's "our turn," so to speak.