Monday, August 21, 2006

Father Time Delivers The Mail

Since 1895, the US Postal Service has delivered mail by boat to the city of Agness, Oregon on the Rogue River. The river empties into the Pacific Ocean at Gold Beach, Oregon, 34 miles from Agness. For over 100 years, boats have made the daily trip upstream from Gold Beach to Agness to provide the residents with mail service.

Over time, the boats have become more modern, so that now, three engined jet-drive aluminum hulled beauties are used for the trip. An added sidelight is that passengers are also welcomed - so much so that passenger traffic is the main source of revenue for the mail boats. Several boats now make the trip each day, but one of them always drops off mail at Agness. It happened the boat I was on last Saturday, was the actual delivery boat so I can make the exaggerated claim that "I delivered the mail." Actually, I was just one of the passengers but who's going to spill the beans and accuse me of ever exaggerating something?

Incidentally, there are fish in the Rogue River. Lot's of them. Delicious ones. And they aren't tiny either. During the trip we saw bald eagles, a mother black bear with two cubs eating wild blackberries, deer, and lots of fisherman.
I wish the person in the picture was me, but once again my highly ethical nature emerges and I confess that it is not Father Time holding that big salmon. Besides, he's way to old to be me, but not so old that if he offered to share his salmon, I would have helped him out!

Sorry to sound like a travelogue, but that's just the way it is here in Father Nature's world.

No comments: