Monday, November 20, 2006

An Unplanned Update: Joey -The Whazzup Dog


Remember Joey, the shelty we adopted in April 2006? Well, I'm going to share what happened this morning at 2:05AM. No, it's not X-rated or scatological in nature - just weird.

Whenever Joey wants to out and play, he makes an almost-human whimper or soft groan. He also knows my typical daily schedule opens up right after lunch. But if I get lazy and don't take him out for a romp in the early afternoon, I get the whimper. Having no life, I've decided this sound is his way of saying, "Whazzup?" (Translation: "What's the problem big guy? It's time for rock-and-roll.")

So, imagine my surprise when I heard a "Whazzup?" at 2:05AM in the morning! Clearly, not a good thing; an incident with no option other than putting on my sweats and shoes, and getting his backside outdoors in case my interpretation was not in sync with his desires. If it was just an ill-timed and ridiculous burst of energy, it would be the last early AM romp. But, if I had misunderstood his intentions, then my household duties in the morning would be much more pleasant and fragrant!

Now, one of the good things about the Pacific Northwest is our abundance of rain. However, one of the bad things about the Pacific Northwest is the timing of the rain. Yes, it was raining this morning at 2:05AM! Out we go, with Joey leading the way at lightning speed. Twice around our big back yard, checking for phantom dogs who apparently had invaded his space; then back to the gate where his message was - "It's time for a walk!"

So, on with the leash and away we go. Up hills and down dark streets at a furious pace. No sniffing or stopping for chores; just a steady dog semi-jog without slowing down a bit.

What was wrong with this dog? Was it some kind of adrenaline blast or crazy sheep-chasing dream? Whatever it was, we finally managed to wear each other out after about 40 minutes and headed for home. We walked in the door, Joey went straight to his bed, and promptly went into a coma-like sleep.

Me, I was wired after a 40-minute jog in the rain at 2:00AM. Made some coffee, picked up my John Muir book, and read for an hour. I carefully read Muir's comments about the joys of being alone in the wilderness. The man was obviously smarter than me. But that's another story (and the end of this one.)

Time for a nap and maybe a dream about running in a marathon. NOT!

2 comments:

The Fly said...

You let the dog boss you around at two in the morning?

Sounds like he's a cat to me.

Father Time said...

Or maybe a vampire?