Friday, January 26, 2007

Pacificism Vs Reality - Part 1

Pacifism Vs Respect For Tradition
OK, I confess. I'm a pacifist at heart. Why? Because many years ago I concluded the need to fight was only a primitive survival tactic left over from our cave dwelling days, and was no longer something intelligent people needed to do in order to survive.

I expect someone out there will say, "Father Time are you suggesting that people who say their survival is dependent on their willingness to go to war are not very smart?"

"Kinda sounds that way doesn't it?" the old man saith. But, let me qualify my response by saying the question is an oversimplification of the real issue. Sane people do not sit idly by and let someone beat them down. Sane people will use whatever tactics are necessary, including fighting, to defend themselves from their attackers. And intelligent sane people use force as a last resort. Notice, I said last resort. I did not say the threat of force, but the actual use of force when all other avenues are closed. There's a BIG difference between making a threat and actually unleashing the dogs, and that is where we go awry.

But, you might ask, "What about those who have served and died in wars while protecting our country?" My answer is simple - I have nothing but respect for them. The courage and patriotism they demonstrated deserves the highest honor this nation can bestow upon one of its citizens. If I was Commander-in-Chief, the Medal of Honor would be presented to every veteran (or surviving next-of-kin) who ever served honorably in combat defending our nation.

Having said that, and knowing that I too served, albeit peacetime duty, why would I embrace the concept of pacifism? For one simple reason (and now we have come full circle); war is symbolic of our primitive instincts.

My reading and research indicate I have a degree of support for my theory. Some of the most learned scholars from both ancient and modern times embraced a philosophy of non-violence.

Note: Part Two will discuss some of people who are known for embracing the concept of non-violence. Part Three will survey some folks who believe war is as natural as breathing, and Part Four will conclude with What Is A Just War?, (Thanks Fly). This all depends, of course, in my not losing interest in the whole topic and going off on the evils of backpacking or something even more heinous.

No comments: