Friday, June 02, 2006

Belated Card Complete With Confession

Maybe this senior citizen memory thing has basis in fact - I totally forgot to wish everyone a Happy Spring!

I post this greeting at great peril.

Some of my male friends will think I've gone soft and squishy. Look at the flowers on Father Time's blog. Give me a break!

No doubt some female friends will question my motives. What's with the "sensitive male" junk? Who's he trying to kid?

Truth!

I just happen to like symmetrical designs. It's a weakness. When I enter a room I'm like Monk, checking out everything, making sure each wall is balanced, vases are arranged by height, and every piece of furniture is either at 90 degrees to the wall or parallel to it. Angle something and I fidget all evening long!

Granted, the flower arrangement is not perfectly symmetrical, but just like horseshoes - close enough!

Now that I have confessed I have a weakness, I feel cleansed and will return to my stong self-imposed male role. Unless I see some really cool Japanese vases! But that's for another time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, pwetty flowehs!

FT, you are way too concerned about this whole male/female thing. Don't sweat it. The whole men-must-be-tough-and-not-like-any-"girly"-stuff gender pigeonholing is on its way out. It's the 21st century, after all!

Happy Spring to you, too. :)

Father Time said...

Ms Apple:

You're right about the gender pigeonhole trap. Notice I said "self-imposed" male role. I had the good fortune to be raised in an environment with no preconceived ideas about gender roles by a Father who was way ahead of his time. In addition, I had the good fortune to have my life shaped by an exceptionally wise maternal grandmother who was philosophically in the 21st Century when it came to gender issues. By the way, she was born in the late 19th Century. I consider myself very, very lucky!

Those who know me will tell you I take pleasure in "tweaking" the traditional male-female role models whenever I get a chance. This is why I will never get into heaven.

Anonymous said...

Impressive. :)

You're kidding about heaven, right?

Father Time said...

Yup. With an angelic face like mine, I have it made.

[cough, cough]