Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Happiness Vs Health

Yesterday, it was revealed in the Scientific American that happy people have fewer heart attacks and incidences of diabetes than those who are less happy and lead a more stressful lifestyle. The supposed culprit is Cortisol which is produced in abundance when the human body experiences high levels of stress.

It clearly makes sense to me that my body will function better when it isn't bombarded by stress. That's almost a no-brainer. But IMHO, it brings up a far more important question:

Does this promise anything positive for people who already have complex physical issues that are neither stress related nor stress induced?

I have a deep empathy for people who suffer from chronic and persistent illnesses that baffle medical science. The challenge they face in maintaining a positive outlook on life while dealing with debilitating pain truly earns my deepest respect and admiration.

The study I Would Like To See

Can someone who has chronic physical issues, develop and maintain a positive mental attitude, and should that factor be a part of the treatment plan?

I have a feeling that most physicians agree with the premise. And if it's true, wouldn't it follow that the "mental factor" should be a part of treatment plan, and equally important, shouldn't it be covered by health insurance? Critics would surely say that this would only further increase health care costs. My response, "Are the monies insurance companies are paying in medical claims being appropriated logically, efficiently and reasonably?" And, "Do health care costs reflect the principles of quality treatment or quality business school curriculums."

The rant has ended. Father Time returns to his workshop to take out his frustration on some really nice oak! FutureRant - forest ecology and logging on federal lands.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me again. :) I've actually looked into this quite a bit over the years, having dealt with it all myself. As far as I can tell, there have been some changes made in medicine/insurance to help reduce stress levels (Kaiser's program, for one).

Cortisol can be a problem, and it's been quite the catchword lately for weight control as well.

As far as stress goes, there is virtually no medical or health condition that isn't related to stress in some way. It's been documented that autoimmune disease is very adversely affected by increased stress, and it's even been questioned just how much stress is involved in one of the multifactorial reasons it comes about in the first places (aside from genetics and lifestyle).

The study you want to see is something many other people have been curious about, too! It's a good question. I don't see it tackled too much in terms of physicians "prescribing" a positive attitude, but it certainly is mentioned enough. It's just most doctors don't know much about how to really go about it (they're in a very stressful job themselves!). I haven't heard that any insurance plans cover programs that support treatment regimens for a positive outlook.... hmmmmm. They probably wouldn't know how to pick up the tab for people's meditation sessions. ;) It seems most of that kind of work is really up to the patients themselves, ya know? Include some humor, get enough rest, chill out for awhile everyday, do a lot of deep breathing. I'm not sure how those could be 'paid for.'

I also get the feeling that most doctors, although generally accepting of the theory, are very quick to shy away from anything that sounds too New Age-y, unless they practice integrated medicine (which is more open to alternative treatments, such as the Cancer Centers of America).

Wow, long comment! *L* I have way too much to say on this topic, as if it wasn't obvious. :)

Father Time said...

There is no such thing as a "too long" comment here!

What do you think about physicians being paid based on results rather than "per visit" or "per procedure?" Given the fact that "results" might be hard to measure, I can see difficulties with the concept, but something I often thought was interesting.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I'm not sure. It might run up against realistic limitations to current medicine, putting undue expectations on doctors who can only do so much under most circumstances. It might help people to believe even more strongly that health or life is something that can be bought, and I think that's a terrible attitude. Many people are lazy enough about taking care of their own d@mn health without already leaving so much up to doctors and hospitals after they've put years of abuse onto their bodies.

And yes, results have to be watched sometimes for years. Not everything can be "cured" in a week or two, and then there's the consideration that some conditions are just progressive so results would be short term. But I think it also might create a lot of probably unnecessary tests, just to be checking up on all these Results... and making lots of money for labs and possibly pharmaceutical companies (which already make enough freakin' money as it is!).

So, there's my mouthy opinion on the subject. :Þ

(and thanks)

Father Time said...

Once again, I know why I should stick to finance and not medicine. The whole issue is so complex, and clouded by so many issues, that we will probably face a complete health care meltdown before answers can be found that make health care affordable to all - and I do mean ALL regardless of income.

The Fly said...

I'm glad you've got italicizing and underlining mastered, old man!

I've heard before that we in the West have sick care, not health care; that is to say, we only get anything out of our health care providers when there's a problem. Would a person possibly own a car and never change the oil until there was a noise or a problem with the car? Of course not: an engine needs proper lubrication and maintenance.

So, I've decided, based on this rant of yours, Father Time, that in the interest of my health (and the health of those others who I can cause extreme amounts of stress to whenever I'm unhappy) that I need to find a young woman to help keep me lubricated and maintained.

Father Time said...

Your comments are duly noted. Plan on an appropriate response, in private, over a pint of Guinness. This site is rated PG-13 and no amount of goading will cause me to cast aside my ethics for the sake of macho retaliation.