Monday, March 06, 2006

Now We're Talking


How about this DIY kit? Lots of cool parts and a finished product that should work even though it doesn't look good. Why doesn't Porsche or BMW do this? No doubt because they have concerns about liability, quality, reliability, and reputation. Lame excuses!

By now, it's obvious I have this thing for cars. When I was a kid, designing cars was my dream occupation. Then, thanks to college, helping engineer cars became both my dream job and my reality.

But designing automobiles? No way. Why? Because professional automotive designers are superb artists, and I can't draw a stick figure that looks like a person. But recognizing good design doesn't necessarily take artistic talent. Therefore, despite my feeble promises earlier to stop posting gorgeous automobile shots, I'm reversing myself and will continue to post car pix that make me weak in the knees. I think a regular feature for the blog is finally emerging.

3 comments:

The Fly said...

This is your "CCG conversations"! Brilliant!

Father Time said...

Good analogy Fly. However, it's not exactly brilliant to reveal one's addiction online - pathetic maybe, but not brilliant.

"The defense rests your Honor".
"What do you mean contempt"?

Anonymous said...

Sometimes those designers forget to include the mechanic's point of view, and then we end up with cars that work well enough while they're running but can be a NIGHTMARE for repairs--all due to "design."

But they sure look good!