Friday, March 10, 2006

Preview of Coming Attractions:
The Sorry State of Affairs at General Motors

Peter M. DeLorenzo is the founding editor of a blog called The Auto Extremist. He has been very critical of General Motors attempts to right their ship and become competitive (I.E. profitable). Having spent 14+ plus years working for GM, I thought it would fun to compare Peter's highly informed and researched conclusions with my thoroughly biased observations followed by my ill-conceived plan for GM's survival. This will take time to write but hopefully, Part I - GM's History 1960-1976 will emerge early next week with Part II - A Possible Path to Recovery following a little later.

Keep in mind I'm neither a pundit nor a futurist. On the other hand, I did see the iceberg on the horizon in 1976, but was too far down in the hierarchy to make a difference. Nonetheless I was a reasonable man, so I jumped ship and ended up becoming a banker. (Why do I hear Dana Carvey in the back of my mind saying, "Now isn't that special"?) Press on!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hubby Mark's been commenting on GM's failures for years (as a mechanic). I think he'll probably want to read these once you post them!

Father Time said...

I'm sure he has. Send him my apologies for everything prior to 1976!