Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Books, Pictures, and Rapture

My Current Pile of Books
Thanks to the local library, the following books are sitting on my desk today:
Ethics For The New Millennium by The Dali Lama (actually extended for two weeks because it's tough going,) Hamlet edited by Harold Jenkins (The Arden Shakespeare Series), The Essential Tao translated by Thomas Cleary, and Designing The Good Home by H.N. Jacobson, B.C. Jackson, and O.G. Bowman.

Pictures
This is a masterpiece of engineering for the '40's. Maybe I'm prejudiced because the leader of the Lockheed design team came from my home town. At any rate, I think it is an American classic in aeronautical design.
Lockheed P-38 Lightning Yes Fly, I know - the P-51 Mustang. You Korean War youngsters think it's all about design, maneuverability, fire power, and speed. No Fly, it's about having two engines no matter what the deficiencies are.

Rapture
And my friends, it's about spending endless days with thick gray clouds, non-stop rain, and books. This is Nirvana!

Good luck and may a flashlight be on your nightstand when the power goes out.

2 comments:

The Fly said...

Two things. First, if you and I ever had occasion to duel on a flight simulator, I bet that the speed, maneuverability, and design of a P-51 Mustang would trump the largeness of your P-38 any day. I'm not saying they're not good planes; I'm just saying that the P-51 is a later model for a reason, and made extreme improvements.

Second, have you considered renaming this blog something along the lines of "Father Time's Bedstand Wisdom"?

Father Time said...

Regarding the P-38. I find your argument convincing and your facts accurate.

Therefore, I have no alternative but to respond as my mentor taught me to respond.

"Bite Me!"

Secondly, regarding nightstands, you will soon discover that the road to heterosexual happiness uses nightstands for mileage markers. If that needs further explanation, feel free to contact me offline.

Finally, "Thank you," for showing me that comment moderation is not a good thing.