Saturday, January 07, 2006

A Little Bit About Father Time

Let's Start Slowly
Since this blog is in it's infancy, I felt it would be a good to share a little of my background.

My rationale is twofold:

1) to make sure no one thinks I have some sort of unique credentials that make me an expert in anything, and
2) making sure I can express who I am.

The first part should be obvious; just read the stuff I write and you will quickly see I'm incapable of complex thought. (I break things down into simple chunks when the going gets intellectual.)

The second part, albeit true, may sound a little perplexing at first. Let me attempt to explain:
One of my new passions is the study of spirituality, and is currently focused on Eastern Asian and Indian philosophies. At the core of many of these philosophies lies the concept of getting past "the self" in order to find "reality." The better known of these schools, Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism, share this concept and differ only in how to reach "reality." Meditation is the most common methodology and is on my "to do" list. See what I mean about oversimplification? So, if I follow their thinking, I don't know who I am but I have the means available to find out.

Is This Going To Be Boring?
NO! When I started this blog, my formula was to start off in a light-hearted manner, but over time, introduce topics that were moderately serious. I may follow this formula for a while but reserve the right to change it as quickly as a weasel cornering in a sewer pipe.

So, Get On With It Old Man!
Father Time studied mechanical engineering and worked for an American automobile manufacturer for 15 years, but did a mid-life u-turn and became a banker. Making that change required going back to school to pick up the skills needed in the financial world. Neglected along the way, were the areas that are now my passions - backpacking, fly fishing, woodworking, architecture, the history of WWII, cooking, and the study of philosophy. Finally, if I must be described politically, I'm a slightly left-leaning centrist who is fiscally conservative. If I must be categorized spiritually, use the word "humanist."

Now it's time for bed.

Good luck and may your nightstand be piled with really cool books that must be read!

No comments: