Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Diversity Ethic

One of my more adventurous reading projects has been perusing the DT Strain Philosophy blog. Early on, I was drawn to a section of his essay on The Noble Conspectus: Diversity ; specifically his take on creating an eight-part Diversity Ethic. With his permission, I am sharing this work on my blog for two reasons. First, it resonates with me as a way to move forward in my personal life, and second, it represents an alternative way of looking at some of the problems our culture faces today. I apologize in advance if this sounds high-minded on my part. That is not my intention. My goal is to share, not preach.

The Diversity Ethic by DT Strain

The Diversity Ethic is beyond mere tolerance, but it is not capitulation or subjugation. Even if we believe that all those of other beliefs are taking a path of ignorance or doom, we can still maintain that belief, and voice it openly, as this right is included in the Diversity Ethic. The ethic consists of eight parts and is as follows...

1) I will be honest and open about all of my beliefs, defending my rights - even if I believe others or their beliefs to be wrong and even if others could be offended by my beliefs.

2) Without sacrificing my content, I will always phrase my statements with sincere care to be sensitive to the feelings of others - not to belittle or offend for its own sake.

3) When others attempt to be respectful to me in stating their beliefs, I will refuse to take offense, no matter how these views compare to my own. I will look only at the speaker's intent to be offensive, rather than the content of the message.

4) I will be open to working and interacting with those of other beliefs in a cordial manner. I will consider them as equals and treat them humane and friendly. I will never advocate isolationism or segregation.

5) I will not only tolerate, but support the rights of others to voice their beliefs by the same standards and rules I am allowed to voice mine - promoting freedom of speech for all.

6) I will never attempt to use the power of the state to give unequal advantage to my religious institutions and beliefs (or the lack thereof).

7) I will seek out unbiased knowledge about the religious beliefs of others, and not merely learn about them through people of my own belief system. I will try to truly understand what others believe from their own words, even if I do not share those beliefs.

8) I will hold to the Diversity Ethic even when others do not. I will not take another's disregard for these principles as a pass to do the same. My civility and standards, however, will not keep me from advocating my views or defending universal rights.

A Thought

Personally, I see Mr. Strain's Diversity Ethic as a great preface to any discussion on religion vs science. Because so much of what I read seems to focus on the emotional aspects of these dialogs, I think a reasoned discussion, with both sides showing respect for the other's position, would be refreshing to say the least.

No comments: